Translate


Saturday, December 14, 2013

Lester

I'm wondering -  do the homeless have their obituaries posted in the newspaper?  Do they have a funeral or memorial service?  Are they remembered at all or missed?  Or are they just a fleeting remembrance in the lives of a few people whose paths they crossed in their final years.  Yet they were someone's son or daughter, brother or sister, aunt or uncle.  They may have had children of their own and are someone's mother or father, grandmother or grandfather.  They were created by God, lived their lives and returned to the earth. 

I don't know much about Lester's personal life.  I know he was in the military.  I know he loved to find funny dog pictures and jokes on his computer to show us.  I know he worked hard in the kitchen on Thursday nights at Halo.  And I know he was saved.  Hallelujah, Praise the Lord.

Those who knew Lester would agree he was a character.  At first meeting, he seemed gruff and aloof.  Quiet, maybe even a little grumpy.  That was the exterior.  Inside, Lester was caring and compassionate.  He would ask about others all the time.  He loved to laugh and tell jokes.  He had a certain way he liked to work the kitchen at Halo and we all learned to do it Lester's way - it was, afterall, the best way. 

The last time I saw Lester he was eating dinner at Halo and I went to say hi to him.  He looked so much smaller and weaker than the robust military guy I met.  His voice was frail and I could barely hear him above all the noise of the dining hall.  He asked about Paul with a smile on his face.  Still thinking about others even with death at his door.

I still don't know what happens to the homeless when they die.  I suppose the state does something with their bodies.  I know that Lester's soul lives on in Heaven and one day the gang at Halo will see him again.  And I know that for me, Lester will be more than a fleeting remembrance as he touched our lives and left an impression.  And if he did that for those of us on Thursday night at Halo, I'm sure he did that for many people he came in contact with.  God bless him, he'll be missed.
 

1 comment:

  1. Lester sounds like a man who loved the Lord- being kind and serving others while facing struggles of his own. Thank you for writing this in his remembrance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. God bless you!