Translate


Friday, April 15, 2011

Commitment

com·mit·ment  [kuh-mit-muh nt]    a pledge or promise; obligation

As Christians in the 21st century, we are faced with major commitment problems.  We are over-committed in many ways and under-committed in others.  We commit to running the kids around, working long hours, living the American dream and trying to outdo and outlive our peers.  We do not commit to serving our Lord, supporting our church and seeking the truth.  Our attempts are pathetic and scattered.  Maybe some of us are avid church goers.  Others may pray now and then.  And some may read devotions.  But is this what Jesus called us to do?  Weren't we called to SACRIFICE?  When was the last time you made a true sacrifice for Christ?  And yet this is how we are called to live DAILY.  

 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”  Joshua 24:15

Our commitment should be only to God.  Any other commitment is to a false idol.  We should be commited to seeking His will, truth and words.  Evaluating our situation should be a regular practice.  If something or someone is taking us away from the Lord or causing us to not seek His will or the truth, then turn from that source. It doesn't need to be complicated - the questions are simple - Does this (thing or person) bring me closer to the Lord?  Does it (or he/she) perpetuate truth?  Does it (or he/she) cause me to sin?   We must not assume that we are able to withstand sin without corruption.

 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”    1 Corinthians 15:33

                       My Colors  


Do we know what it means to be a living sacrifice?
Read this statement by a young African pastor.

Found among his papers in Zimbabwe after he was martyred


       I'm a part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I'm a disciple of His and I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.

     My past is redeemed. My present makes sense. My future is secure. I'm done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living, and dwarfed goals.

     I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, or first, or tops, or recognized, or praised, or rewarded. I live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labor by Holy Spirit power.

     My face is set. My gait is fast. My goal is heaven. My road may be narrow, my way rough, my companions few, but my guide is reliable and my mission is clear.

     I will not be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed.

     I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice or hesitate in the presence of the adversary. I will not negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

     I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and preached up for the cause of Christ.

     I am a disciple of Jesus. I must give until I drop, preach until all know, and work until He comes. And when He does come for His own, He'll have no problems recognizing me.

My colors will be clear!

3 comments:

  1. I like what you have said about how evaluating our lives should be a regular practice. I think its easy to find a niche or routine that works for you, and then just go through the motions. Its harder to stop and pray and ask God if He would have you change, or move, or quit your job. Other cultures have to completely depend on God, because they literally have nothing else. We are in the same boat, but its harder for us to see that God is all we have. Thank you Proverbs 8!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, Kristina! And I agree - our society forgets to keep its focus on Christ. We like to think that WE are responsible for all that we have, not God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Welcome back with the blog! (this is my 3rd attempt to post, sorry for the delay) I am blessed that I receive the daily benefit of discussions from your studies of the Word. I appreciate your dedication to bring out discussions of the Word and Gods message to us. I am truely blessed by our walk together. I love you.
    Paul (the other Paul)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. God bless you!